UML sequence diagram
Date: February 1st 2016
Last updated: February 1st 2016
A UML sequence diagram illustrates interactions and processes between objects and events. Importantly, a sequence diagram maps out messages (communication) that are sent between objects over a time sequence.
- Include two elements: messages and lifelines.
- Messages annotate communication
- Lifelines (annotated box with a hanging dashed line)
- Lifelines point to boxes representing length of time
- If theres no box, communication is idle
- Solid arrows refer to method call
- Dashed arrows refer to method return values